Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Oh how much fun you can have

Lately I have been a mad thrifter. I have been exploring all kind of new(to me) thrift shops. These shoes are a very happy purchase made at Goodwill from the other day. I believe they were about three dollars. That's a steal!(yes I know my second toe is longer then my first...it's a sign of noble lineage you know! lol)

Then as if the shoes were not enough I found this Michael Kors handbag. Oh yes you read that right. For five dollars + tax. I was so excited I couldn't pay for it fast enough. You know when your out and you find a really good deal and it makes you feel guilty? Like you are taking advantage and as soon as you get to the register they are going to tell you it was all a big mistake and it's really way more then the sticker said. That's how I felt when I saw this little beauty peeking out from behind some other bags.

In the background you can see all the other things I feel need to be on my kitchen table. Like a bath towel and the rest of my goodwill shopping splurges. Don't ask about the bath towel because I couldn't tell you what it's doing up there. I have a sneaking suspicion that the beau left it up there after his shower. He thinks it dries better there. Or at least that's what he'd like me to believe.


During my adventures I also found some very cute H&M tops for a dollar each, as well as a pair of pink Victoria's Secret sweats for a dollar. I found all of this at a thrift shop called the White Elephant in Naples Fl. If you every make it down this way it's worth a stop. It was a heck of a day I tell you!

So after my super exciting shopping I went home to make my Banana Bread. My mama had sent me a loaf for my birthday but you can guess how long that lasted in my sweet and carb addicted world. I had some over ripe bananas so I thought I would make my own. This picture is of a double loaf. The recipe that follows is for a single full loaf.


Mamas Banana Bread

Oven at 325-350F

1/2 c. Shortening
1 c. Sugar
2 Eggs
1 full c mashed very ripe banana
1 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
3/4 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
chopped walnuts to preference

Cream shortening, sugar, and eggs. Then mix in the banana. Sift in the flour, baking soda, and salt. Then stir in the walnuts.

Pour the whole thing into a greased loaf pan and bake for 35-50 min. This will vary a lot depending on your oven. It will be done when golden brown and springy to the touch. Now don't go poking your finger into it just tap it a bit!

Tea Party Banana Cake

Double the recipe above just substitute four cups of all purpose flour instead of the 1 1/4c.(this means you will have four cups of flour in the recipe...not eight) After you have iced the cake you can sprinkle fine chopped walnuts on top.

After banana cake has cooled for at least an hour you can ice it with cream cheese frosting.

This is a recipe for a simple Cream cheese frosting. Sometimes I add a bit of nutmeg and cinnamon to it.


* 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
* 1/2 cup butter, softened
* 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

No comments:

Post a Comment